lemon ricotta waffles with poppy seeds



I think my upstairs neighbors are dinosaurs. 
Every footstep they take sounds like a bomb going off. 
I'm turning into Mr. Heckles from F.R.I.E.N.D.S.
You'll find me in my silk robe, smokin' a cigar 
(I imagine Mr. Heckles to be a cigar man)
 with a broomstick banging on the ceiling soon enough.
God damn...that Mr. Heckles though, 
he very well may be my spirit animal.


To help with the dinosaurs living above me,
I need all the waffles.
Food used as a coping mechanism...a good idea?
Why would you even question that, of course it's a good idea.
Especially when they're lemon ricotta waffles.
Slightly crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside.
That creamy ricotta, tangy lemon, sweet maple syrup...
waffle goals amiright?


I think you need to make these. 
Mr. Heckles would want you to.


Lemon Ricotta Waffles with poppy seeds
makes 2 generous or 4 small servings
Recipe from Joy the Baker.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup part-skim milk ricotta cheese
3/4 cup water or milk
2 teaspoons poppy seeds (optional)

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
In a small bowl, rub together granulated sugar and lemon zest until the sugar is scented with lemon.  Add the lemon sugar to the bowl with the dry ingredients.
In a bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together butter, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, ricotta, and water.  Whisk until thoroughly combined.
Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.  Add the poppy seeds (if using) and stir to incorporate.  Try not to over mix the batter.  It’s ok if a few lumps remain.
Heat you waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  Dollop batter into the waffle iron and cook until golden brown.  Serve immediately.  These waffles can also be individually wrapped and frozen.  They’re great heated up in the toaster or in the oven.